Health Care Support Worker
WHO WE ARE
Elim Village is a developing comprehensive Christian seniors community located on 25 acres in Surrey, B.C. As a not-for-profit organization, Elim Village offers a unique opportunity to be a part of a working environment that embraces Christian principles and beliefs and pursues the highest standards in business and care operations. With our campus of care model, our approach is integrative and team oriented. Our core values emphasize the relationships we hold with residents, staff and stakeholders.
We are looking for Health Care Support Workers that will go through the Health Care Access Program. Health Care Support Workers will receive paid training and post-secondary education that leads to full qualification of a Health Care Assistant. Health Care Support Workers will work in the direction of the Registered Nurse or equivalent health care professionals. They will perform non direct and/or non-clinical healthcare support to residents and staff.
- Grade 10, including successful completion of English 10 or equivalency
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Evidence of good physical and emotional health and the capacity to handle the demands of the job.
- Participating as an integral member of a healthcare delivery team
- Establishing a caring relationship with staff, residents, and families
- Providing support and assistance with mealtime activities
- Providing support and assistance with activity programs
- Performing housekeeping duties
- Greeting and directing visitors
- Restocking supplies
- Completing and maintaining relevant records
- Helping in the delivery of nursing care, including taking temperature, pulse and respiration readings
- Documenting information on a patient’s chart
- Responding to call bells/alarms in hospital settings
- Observing and monitoring patient progress, symptoms and behavioural changes and reporting significant observations
- Utilizing mechanical aides (specialty beds, lifts, wheelchairs, and stretchers) to transport patients
- Helping with positioning, lifting and/or transferring patients using established lifting/safety techniques
- Maintaining a clean and safe environment for patients and staff
STEPS FOR THE HEALTH CAREER ACCESS PROGRAM
- Start as a Health Care Support Worker with Elim Village
- Complete the basic training and onboarding with Elim Village
- Become a Health Care Assistant. This will be a structured education program that you will complete while you are working (educational costs are paid by the government).
- Once the program is complete, you are eligible to work as a Resident Care Aide or Assisted Living Worker.
For more details on the program, please visit https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/economic-recovery/work-in-health-care
Or call us at 604-583-3546 ext: 8013
- Rate is $20.95 per hour.