Home Support Worker
WHO WE ARE
Elim Village operates two exceptional aging in place communities for older adults. Our retirement villages are located in Surrey and Chilliwack, B.C., where over 1,000 seniors call Elim Village ‘home’. We’re looking for new talent to join us as we continue to be at the leading edge of seniors living. We offer a unique opportunity to be part of a not-for-profit organization founded on Christian principles and beliefs, which pursues the highest standards of professionalism. Join our diverse team of more than 500 employees in making a daily difference in the lives of residents.
Provides basic personal care for each resident under the direction of the RN, RPN, or LPN and supervision of the Garrison Crossing’s Home Care Coordinator. Participates in social and activity programs, and maintains environment in a clean, tidy, and homelike atmosphere.
- Minimum Grade 10 education.
- Resident Care Attendant basic certification from a recognized college.
- One-year related experience preferred or an equivalent combination of training, education, and experience acceptable to Elim Village.
- Current First Aid / CPR certification.
- Current Registration with BC Care Aide & Community Health Worker Registry.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Works to maintain residents’ autonomy and independence by supporting them to do as much of their own ADLs themselves as possible.
- Provides comprehensive personal care such as: bathing, dressing, care of mouth, teeth, hair, nails, feet, skin, and feeding.
- Ensures that resident practices frequent and safe mobility.
- Offers liquids/nutrition frequently and reports any nutrition concerns.
- Toilets residents (bowel and bladder training) and reports elimination habits, inserts suppositories, administers cleansing enemas, and application of condoms catheters.
- Encourages residents’ interactions, becoming involved in the activities program and respecting residents’ religious beliefs.
- Utilizes effective social skills with the residents and their families, such as assisting in meeting the needs of the dying person and his/her family.
- Uses correct lifting and transfer techniques.
- Maintenance of the environment such as controlling and minimizing noise and odors, cleaning up spills on floors and furniture, and general tidying of the environment for comfort.
- Maintenance of proper infection control such as washing hands between residents.
- Retains knowledge of facility wide and health authority practices, infection control policies, and protocols.
- Prevents, eliminates, reduces and/or reports safety hazards.
- Skilled at measuring T.P.R., weight, and height.
- Regularly attends in-service and training programs.
- Follows admission procedures by preparing units for new admission, welcomes new residents, and completes required forms.
- Uses and cares for equipment and its cleansing, and conserves supplies.
- Performs related duties as required/assigned.
- Recognizes that residents who are independent are opening up their homes to have care delivered and they as the home support worker are guests in the home.
- This is a Casual Position.
While we are thankful for all applications, only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.