Cyber Awareness Month
The internet has indeed become a prevalent powerhouse in the world today. For example, with social media you can connect with friends who you haven’t seen in 5, 10 or even 15 years and you are able to contact them wherever you are in the world. You can make new friends, create events and even share your best memories instantly.
Although there are a lot of good that comes from the internet, there are some people who want to take advantage of it. It has been on target of cyber scammers who use different identities to steal personal information. Here are some tips to use the internet and social media safely:
- Use a strong password. The longer it is, the more secure it will be.
- Use a different password for each of your accounts.
- Set up your security answers. Make sure to pick questions that no one else knows the answers too.
- If you have apps on your mobile phone, be sure to password protect your device.
- Be selective with friend requests when it comes to social media. If you don’t know the person, don’t accept their request. It could be a fake account.
- Click links with caution. Look out for language or content that does not sound like something your friend would send you.
- Be careful about what you share. Don’t reveal sensitive personal information ie: home address, financial information, phone number. The more you post the easier it is to have your identity stolen.
- Become familiar with the privacy policies of the social media channels you use and customize your privacy settings to control who sees what.
- Protect your computer by installing antivirus software to safeguard. Also ensure that your browser, operating system, and software are kept up to date.
- Remember to log off of all applications when you’re done.
If ever in doubt it is always good to ask.